Word Study: Joy Part 3 New Testament
As I began to organize my verses and thoughts for this page, I was awestruck by the fact that a majority of them–actually ALL of them–are exemplified in Jesus Christ, our Savior and soon-coming King. It is absolutely amazing. I have always been taught that the Old Testament is a pattern for the New and that the New Testament is the fulfillment of the Old. I believe you will see those two principles aptly demonstrated in this study.
In the Beginning…
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:1-5) In the Old Testament word study, we saw that our Father in heaven is called, El Simchah Giyl, God My Exceeding Joy. Jesus, the Word made flesh, is the personification of that joy. He is the Word and He is JOY! From the announcement of the birth of His forerunner, John the Baptist, who would proclaim the joy of the Messiah’s birth, to Gabriel’s revelation to Mary and her visit to Elizabeth, we see joy preceding and accompanying the Good News.
The Joyful Visitations
The Angel Gabriel Visit to Zacharias
Luke 1:13-17 “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your petition has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will give him the name John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb. And he will turn back many of the sons of Israel to the Lord their God. And it is he who will go as a forerunner before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers back to the children, and the disobedient to the attitude of the righteous; so as to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
Gabriel’s Visit to Mary
Luke 1:26-33 Now in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city in Galilee, called Nazareth, to a virgin engaged to a man whose name was Joseph, of the descendants of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. And coming in, he said to her, “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.” But she was greatly troubled at this statement,and kept pondering what kind of salutation this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. “And behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son,and you shall name Him Jesus. “He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High; and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David; and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever; and His kingdom will have no end.” [Hail is a greeting of joy]
Mary’s Visit to Elizabeth
Luke 1: 39-55 Now at this time Mary arose and went with haste to the hill country, to a city of Judah, and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth. And it came about that when Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. And she cried out with a loud voice, and said, “Blessed among women are you, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! “And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? “For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy.” And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord.”
And Mary said: “My soul exalts the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. “For He has had regard for the humble state of His bond slave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me; And holy is His name. “And His mercy is upon generation after generation. Toward those who fear Him. “He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart. “He has brought down rulers from their thrones, And has exalted those who were humble. “He has filled the hungry with good things; And sent away the rich empty-handed. “He has given help to Israel His servant, In remembrance of His mercy, As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and his offspring forever.” [Mary’s soul, spirit and body touched by joy.]
The Angel’s and the Host of Heaven’s Visit to the Shepherds
Luke 2:10-14 And the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which shall be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths, and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14″ Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”
The Magi’s Visit to Adore the New King
Mathew 2:10,11 And when they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. And they came into the house and saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell down and worshiped Him; and opening their treasures they presented to Him gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh.
Joseph & Mary Visit the Temple and Meet Simeon
Luke 2:25-32 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. And he came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to carry out for Him the custom of the Law, then he took Him into his arms, and blessed God, and said, “Now Lord, Thou dost let Thy bond-servant depart In peace, according to Thy word; For my eyes have seen Thy salvation, Which Thou hast prepared in the presence of all peoples, A light of revelation to the Gentiles, And the glory of Thy people Israel.” [I know the word, joy, does not appear in these verses, but I believe it is implied.]
Joseph & Mary Visit the Temple and Meet Anna
Luke 2:36-38 And there was a prophetess, Anna the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived with a husband seven years after her marriage, and then as a widow to the age of eighty-four. And she never left the temple, serving night and day with fasting and prayers. And at that very moment she came up and began giving thanks to God, and continued to speak of Him to all those who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem. [Again, the word, joy, does not appear in these verses, but I believe it was immeasurable!]
Jesus Visits and is Baptized by John
John 1:29-34 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! “This is He on behalf of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’ “And I did not recognize Him, but in order that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.” And John bore witness saying, “I have beheld the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. “And I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the one who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’ “And I have seen, and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.” [The promise and purpose of John’s life is fulfilled the day Jesus walked into his life.]
Andrew Meets Jesus, His Messiah
John 1:40,41 One of the two who heard John speak,[Behold, the Lamb of God!] and followed Him, was Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother. He found first his own brother Simon, and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which translated means Christ). [When Jesus enters your life, the first thing you want to do is share THE JOY!]
The Father’s JOY!, The Son’s JOY!, the Holy Spirit’s JOY! & Our JOY!
- John 3:29 “He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. And so this joy of mine has been made full.
- John 15:11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.
- John 17:13 “But now I come to Thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy made full in themselves.
- Acts 13:52 And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
- Rom 14:17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
- Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
- 1 Thes 1:6 You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit.
JOY! in Jesus’ Resurrection
- Matt. 28:8 And they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy and ran to report it to His disciples.
- Luke 24:48-53 “You are witnesses of these things. “And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.” And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. And it came about that while He was blessing them, He parted from them. And they returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple, praising God.
- John 16:20 “Truly, truly, I say to you, that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned to joy.
- John 16:22 “Therefore you too now have sorrow; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one takes your joy away from you.
JOY! in Believing & Seeing
- Luke 24:41 And while they still could not believe it for joy and were marveling, He said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?”
- Acts 12:14 And when she recognized Peter’s voice, because of her joy she did not open the gate, but ran in and announced that Peter was standing in front of the gate.
- Rom 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Php 1:25 And convinced of this, I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy in the faith,
- 1 Pet 1:8,9 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.
JOY! in Asking, in Receiving, and in Giving
- John 16:24 “Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be made full.
- 2 Cor 8:1-3 Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the grace of God which has been given in the churches of Macedonia, that in a great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality. For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability they gave of their own accord…
- Php 2:18 And you too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me.
JOY! in Birthing, in Travail, and in Prayer
- John 16:21 “Whenever a woman is in travail she has sorrow, because her hour has come; but when she gives birth to the child, she remembers the anguish no more, for joy that a child has been born into the world.
- Php 1:4 always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all
- James 4:6-10 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning, and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
JOY! in Rejection and Affliction
- Luke 6:13 “Be glad in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets.
- Heb 12:2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. [This is the key. If we see the vision of JOY!, we can endure anything.]
- James 1:2-4 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
JOY! in Each Other – the Church, Our Brothers & Sisters in Christ, and the Lost
- Php 2:2 make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.
- Php 2:29 Therefore receive him in the Lord with all joy, and hold men like him in high regard;
- 1 Thes 3:9 For what thanks can we render to God for you in return for all the joy with which we rejoice before our God on your account
- 2 Tim 1:4 longing to see you, even as I recall your tears, so that I may be filled with joy.
- Phm 1:7 For I have come to have much joy and comfort in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, brother.
JOY! in Being Used By God
- Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.”
[When we walk in the truth of the Gospel, His gifts flow and others are touched. It is the eternal circle of JOY! His joy brings you Joy, and through your joy, Christ in you touches others. And that delight brings you even more JOY!)
JOY! in Soul-Winning & Discipling
- Luke 15:7 “I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.
- Luke 15:10 “In the same way, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
- Acts 15:3 Therefore, being sent on their way by the church, they were passing through both Phoenicia and Samaria, describing in detail the conversion of the Gentiles, and were bringing great joy to all the brethren.
- Php 4:1 Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, so stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.
- 1 Thes 1:6 You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit,
- 1 Thes 2:19-20 For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming? For you are our glory and joy.
- 3 John 1:4 I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
- Jude 1:22-25 And have mercy on some, who are doubting; save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh. Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.
JOY! in Obedient Service
- Matt 25:21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave; you were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things, enter into the joy of your master.’
- Rom 15:32 so that I may come to you in joy by the will of God and find refreshing rest in your company.
- Php 2:17 But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all.
- Heb 13:17 Obey your leaders, and submit to them; for they keep watch over your souls, as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.
JOY! in the Prophetic Word and in Finding Truth and Expressing it
- Matt 13:20 (also Mk 4:16 & Lu 8:13) “And the one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word, and immediately receives it with joy;
- Matt 13:44 “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in the field, which a man found and hid; and from joy over it he goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field.
- 1 John 1:4 And these things we write, so that our joy may be made complete.
- 1 John 1:12 Having many things to write to you, I do not want to do so with paper and ink; but I hope to come to you and speak face to face, that your joy may be made full.