Word Study: Sovereignty
With people in crisis situations, in my own prayers and declarations, I keep thinking of the Lord being SOVEREIGN in majesty, power, rulership, authority.
1. The quality or state of being sovereign
2. The status, dominion, power, or authority of a sovereign; royalty.
3. Supreme and independent power or authority in government as possessed or claimed by a state or community
4. Rightful status, independence, or prerogative.
5. A sovereign state, community, or political unit.
- Supreme and unrestricted power, as of a state
- The position, dominion, or authority of a sovereign
- An independent state
mid-14c., “pre-eminence,” from Anglo-Fr. Sovereynete. Meaning “authority, rule”
Easton’s 1897 Bible Dictionary
of God, his absolute right to do all things according to his own good pleasure (Dan. 4:25, 35; Rom. 9:15-23; 1 Tim. 6:15; Rev.4:11).
Synonyms: autonomy, independence, independency,liberty, self-determination, self-governance, self-government, freedom
Antonyms: dependence, heteronomy, subjection, unfreedom
Related Words: emancipation, enfranchisement, liberation, manumission, release
NearAntonyms: captivity, enchainment, enslavement ,immurement, imprisonment, incarceration, internment, subjugation
One of the most extraordinary books on this topic was written by A W. Pink – The Sovereignty of God Following are a few of his key points on sovereignty:
- God’s Sovereignty Defined: “Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is Thine; Thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and Thou art exalted as Head above all” (1 Chron. 29:11).
- The Sovereignty Of God In Creation: “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory, and honor, and power: for Thou hast created all things, and for Thy pleasure they are and were created” (Rev. 4:11).
- Sovereignty Of God In Administration: “The LORD hath prepared His Throne In the heavens; and His Kingdom ruleth over all” (Psa. 103:19).
- The Sovereignty Of God In Salvation: “O the depths of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out” (Rom. 11:33).
- The Sovereignty Of God In Reprobation: “Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God” (Rom. 11:22).
- The Sovereignty Of God In Operation: “For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things: to whom be the glory for ever. Amen” (Romans 11:36).
- God’s Sovereignty And The Human Will: “It is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure” (Phil. 2: 13).
- Sovereignty And Human Responsibility: “So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God” (Rom. 14:12).
- God’s Sovereignty And Prayer: “If we ask anything according to His will, He heareth us” (1 John 5:14).
- Our Attitude Toward His Sovereignty: “Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in Thy sight” (Matt. 11:26).
- Difficulties And Objections: “Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not My way equal? are not your ways unequal?” (Ezek. 18:25).
- The Value Of This Doctrine: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, And is profitable for doctrine, For reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, Thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Tim. 3:16, 17).
“Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth” (Rev. 19:6).
“God is Sovereign, man is responsible.”
Omnipotent – Rev 19:6
he who holds sway over all things; the ruler of all; Almighty: God
from 3956 pas (individually; each, every, any, all, the whole, all things, everything; collectively
+ from 2904 kratos (force, strength; power, might, mighty with great power; a mighty deed, a work of power; dominion)
Other appearances in the New Testament
- 2 Cor 6:18 “And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,” Says the Lord Almighty.
- Rev 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
- Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying , Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was , and is , and is to come.
- Rev 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come ; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned .
- Rev 15:3 And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.
- Rev 16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.
- Rev 16:14 for they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them together for the war of the great day of God, the Almighty.
- Rev 19:6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth .
Almighty — #7706 Shadday, almighty, most powerful; Shaddai, the Almighty (of God)
From #7703 shadad | to deal violently with, despoil, devastate, ruin, destroy, spoilVerses with the word almighty in the Old Testament (48 verses):
Appearances in the Old Testament
- Genesis 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
- Genesis 28:3 And God Almighty bless thee, and make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, that thou mayest be a multitude of people;
- Genesis 35:11 And God said unto him, I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply; a nation and a company of nations shall be of thee, and kings shall come out of thy loins;
- Genesis 43:14 And God Almighty give you mercy before the man, that he may send away your other brother, and Benjamin. If I be bereaved of my children, I am bereaved.
- Genesis 48:3 And Jacob said unto Joseph, God Almighty appeared unto me at Luz in the land of Canaan, and blessed me,
- Genesis 49:25 Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb:
- Exodus 6:3 And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of GodAlmighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.
- Numbers 24:4 He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
- Numbers 24:16 He hath said, which heard the words of God, and knew the knowledge of the most High, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
- Ruth 1:20 And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara: for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me.
- Job 5:17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
- Job 6:4 For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me.
- Job 6:14 To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.
- Job 8:5 If thou wouldest seek unto God betimes, and make thy supplication to the Almighty;
- Job 11:7 Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?
- Job 13:3 Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God.
- Job 22:17 Which said unto God, Depart from us: and what can the Almighty do for them?
- Job 22:23 If thou return to the Almighty, thou shalt be built up, thou shalt put away iniquity far from thy tabernacles.
- Job 22:25 Yea, the Almighty shall be thy defence, and thou shalt have plenty of silver.
- Job 27:10 Will he delight himself in the Almighty? will he always call upon God?
- Job 27:13 This is the portion of a wicked man with God, and the heritage of oppressors, which they shall receive of the Almighty.
- Job 29:5 When the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were about me;
- Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
- Job 33:4 The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.
- Job 34:10 Therefore hearken unto me ye men of understanding: far be it from God, that he should do wickedness; and from the Almighty, that he should commit iniquity.
- Job 35:13 Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it.
- Job 37:23 Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict.
- Psalms 91:1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
- Ezekiel 1:24 And when they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of great waters, as the voice of the Almighty, the voice of speech, as the noise of an host: when they stood, they let down their wings.
- Ezekiel 10:5 And the sound of the cherubims’ wings was heard even to the outer court, as the voice of the Almighty God when he speaketh.
- Joel 1:15 Alas for the day! for the day of the LORD is at hand, and as a destruction from the Almighty shall it come.