Acts 9:31 Encouragement
“The church then had peace… it became stronger
as the believers lived in the fear of the Lord.
And with the encouragement of the Holy Spirit,
it also grew in numbers.” (Acts 9:31 NLT)
I was reading Acts 9 in my NLT Bible this morning and the word “encouragement” really stood out to me. I felt a strong urge to look it up in the Greek. The King James Version uses the word, comfort #3874, rather than encouragement.
Strong’s #3874 paraklesis from #3870
- a calling near, summons (esp. for help)
- importation, supplication, entreaty
- exhortation, admonition, encouragement
- consolation, comfort, solace; that which affords comfort or refreshment
- thus of the Messianic salvation (so the Rabbis call the Messiah the consoler, the comforter)
- persuasive discourse, stirring address
- instructive, admonitory, conciliatory, powerful hortatory [urging to some course of conduct or action, exhorting, encouraging] discourse
- Used 29 times in KJV: consolation 14, exhortation 8, comfort 6, intreaty 1
Strong’s #3870 parakaleo from #3844 + #2564
- to call to one’s side, call for, summon
- to address, speak to, (call to, call upon), which may be done in the way of exhortation, entreaty
- to admonish, exhort
- to beg, entreat, beseech
- to strive to appease by entreaty
- to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort
- to receive consolation, be comforted
- to encourage, strengthen, exhorting and comforting and encouraging
- to instruct, teach
- Used 109 times in KJV: beseech 43, comfort 23, exhort 21, desire 8, pray 6, intreat 3
Strong’s #3844 para (a root word)
- from, of at, by, besides, near
Strong’s #2564 kaleo (akin to the base of 2753, which means to command, order)
- to call; to call aloud, utter in a loud voice
- to invite
- to call i.e. to name, by name; to give a name to; to receive the name of, receive as a name; to give some name to one, call his name
- to be called i.e. to bear a name or title (among men)
- to salute one by name
- Used 147 times in KJV: call 125, bid 16, be so named 1
Different Versions of the Same Scripture
Acts 9:31 KJV Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified ; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied .
Acts 9:31 NAS So the church throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria enjoyed peace, being built up; and going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it continued to increase.
Acts 9:31 NIV Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened; and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it grew in numbers, living in the fear of the Lord.
Acts 9:31 CJB Then the Messianic community throughout Y’hudah, the Galil and Shomron enjoyed peace and was built up. They lived in the fear of the Lord, with the counsel of the Ruach HaKodesh; and their numbers kept multiplying.
Acts 9:31 RHE Now, the church had peace throughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria: and was edified, walking in the fear of the Lord: and was filled with the consolation of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 9:31 GNT And so it was that the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had a time of peace. Through the help of the Holy Spirit it was strengthened and grew in numbers, as it lived in reverence for the Lord.
Acts 9:31 HNV So the assemblies throughout all Yehudah and the Galil and Shomron had shalom, and were built up. They were multiplied, walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Ruach HaKodesh.
Acts 9:31 CSB
So the church throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace, being built up and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, and it increased in numbers.
Acts 9:31 NIRV Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. The Holy Spirit gave the church strength and boldness. So they grew in numbers. And they worshiped the Lord.
Acts 9:31 NKJ Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.
Acts 9:31 MSG Things calmed down after that and the church had smooth sailing for a while. All over the country – Judea, Samaria, Galilee – the church grew. They were permeated with a deep sense of reverence for God. The Holy Spirit was with them, strengthening them. They prospered wonderfully.
Acts 9:31 WYC And the church by all Judaea, and Galilee, and Samaria, had peace, and was edified, and walked in the dread of the Lord, and was filled with comfort of the Holy Ghost [walking in the dread of the Lord, and was full-filled in the comfort of the Holy Ghost].