Saturday, August 22, 2020
“God sits above the circle of the earth. The people below seem like grasshoppers to him! He spreads out the heavens like a curtain and makes his tent from them.”
Personal note: I really spent some time on this verse. Prior verses have pointed to His creation and that no one or thing compares to Him and what/who He has created. But this verse brings to mind two things: 1) From a natural perspective, we probably do look like grasshoppers. 2) The curtain speaks to me of a barrier, a veil, something He can “hide” behind and His tent speaks to me of His tabernacle, His dwelling place. BUT! I also marvel like David that He has crowned us with glory and honor (Ps 8:4,), He knows my name (Ps 91:14), AND He removes the veil when we turn to Him (2 Cor 3:16).
- We enthrone You on our praise today, Lord. There is no one on earth or in heaven like You. Great is Your name. You are worthy of all our praise.
- Look down upon our beautiful world today with its blue oceans, high peaks, deserts, and green valleys. Outstretch Your mighty arm towards those fires in California and beyond. Guide the fire fighters, protect them and the land and property, and extinguish these destructive fires. Save lives!
- Guide those in Iowa and surrounding areas that are trying to pull the pieces together after that derecho hit them. Reestablish power quickly to those areas that lack. Provide for the families and businesses that have to be rebuilt.
- May Your gaze be upon our cities that have erupted in riots and anarchy. We call upon Your justice and mercy, for You are both. Condemn the lawlessness, convict the slow-to-act, give strength, wisdom and leadership to those who have Your rule in their hearts. Give them a platform to speak reason and rationality into the chaos.
- Lord, remove the veil on our hearts first and then remove the veil on Your heavens. Holy Spirit, guide us into all truth.
- We recognize that You have all authority and that you have delegated authority here on earth to Your Church, help us to walk with grace, with love, and with wisdom.